What is A Charter School?
Parents have many options when searching for a school that will give their child an educational program that they will succeed in. Many parents feel that a charter school will give a more individualized learning experience. But what is a charter school and how could it benefit my child? A few benefits of attending a charter school are:
- They offer an alternative education from public schools, often with specialized curriculum.
- Charter schools and students must meet Arizona Standards and are usually an excelling school based on standardized testing.
- You can find all grade levels from kindergarten through 8th grade available for enrollment. AmeriSchools has campuses in Tucson, Phoenix and Yuma. Contact your local AmeriSchools campus for further information on how their highly qualified teachers can help your child achieve learning success.
Are Charter School Teachers Highly Qualified?
The Arizona law allows for charter schools to hire degreed teachers who are not Arizona certified. No Child Left Behind requirements of Highly Qualified teachers apply to all teachers in public institutions. What does that mean? That means that college degreed individuals, professionals from fields outside of education, and teachers moving to Arizona from out of state with a passion for education may find an opportunity in charter schools. Many Arizona certified teachers also choose to work in charter schools. All teachers in Arizona are required to have valid fingerprint clearance and each charter school is required to maintain current teacher resumes available on site for public review.
Did You Know…
- AmeriSchools Tucson earned the title of 2015 Arizona Reward School for the progress it helps students make who struggle in reading and mathematics.
- AmeriSchools Tucson has an average staff tenure of 7 years!
- At AmeriSchools Tucson, “Kindness Rules” as all students pledge daily to keep our learning environment positive and encouraging.
- AmeriSchools Tucson has a professional Yoga instructor and chess coach who work with students on a weekly basis.
- AmeriSchools Phoenix has partnered with Phoenix Theater Company for over five years bringing theater to the students
- AmeriSchools Phoenix used a grant from St. Joseph’s Hospital to become a Second Step School.
- Students at AmeriSchools Phoenix participate in competitive flag football and basketball
- AmeriSchools Phoenix introduced a new hot lunch program
- AmeriSchools Yuma received over $3,500 in community grants
- AmeriSchools Yuma South A Kids at Hope School http://www.kidsathope.org
- AmeriSchools Yuma South tutoring and accelerated services provided
- AmeriSchools Yuma South offers dozens of extracurricular activities held weekly
- Dr. Reginald Barr, Chief Executive Officer, served two terms on the Arizona State Board of Education