The debate over whether to send your children to a charter school or a traditional public school has been a topic of discussion for parents and guardians over the past several years. Parents may question the educational benefits that charter schools offer to students, and wonder whether they outperform traditional schools. Luckily, Arizona has been a prime example for charter school growth and continues to be a leader in education since the state started allowing charter schools in 1995.
Charter Schools Continue to Rise Above
To help you make the best decision for you and your family, we’ve broken down some of the most important statistics and findings from the Arizona Charter School Association below.
- According to AzMERIT scores released in 2016, charter students scored better than the state average in the English/Language Arts and Math assessment in every grade level and subject area (except Algebra I, where charter students tied the state average).
- Arizona’s charter students outperformed nearly every other state on the 2015 National Assessment of Educational Progress.
- Public charter students outperformed the state average of students passing the English/Language test by 9%, on average.
- Public charter students outperformed the state average of students passing the Mathematics test by 6%, on average.
- 49 of the top 50 schools for number of passing scores on AzMERIT Math exams are charter schools.
Arizona charter schools are outperforming traditional public schools, despite receiving an average of $1,180 less than public schools.
Success is within reach
Charter schools are successful because they are not forced to follow many of the same rules that hamper administrators and teachers at traditional public schools. Reports suggest that charters are allowed to identify regulations that are holding back progress and request exemptions from them. At AmeriSchools, we believe our students and faculty benefit from these added freedoms.
For more information on how your child can benefit from our advantages, contact AmeriSchools Academy today. You can also schedule a personal tour at any of our four charter campuses across Arizona!